WEI Student Award Scholarships for 2017
Nominations are invited for the Waikato Education International (WEI) Student Award Scholarships.
The scholarships, to the combined value of $5000 and to a maximum value of $2000 per scholarship, are available to students who are continuing their study in 2017 in a WEI member institution.
All applications are considered on merit within the criteria in the application form and the amount of each scholarship will be determined by the selection committee.
- Completed forms with all supporting documentation must be received by 4.00pm Wednesday 14 September, 2016.
- Post applications to:
Associate Director Future Students.
The University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
NB: NO LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
1. Be a current international student with a valid Student Permit.
2. Be currently enrolled in a member WEI institution.
3. Be an intermediate/middle school student moving to secondary school, a Year 12 student moving to Year 13, or a Year 13 student moving to a tertiary institution, who has been enrolled in and successfully completed at least one year at a WEI member institution.
4. Be eligible to enrol full time in a mainstream course or year long programme commencing Semester One/Term 1, 2017 at a WEI member secondary school, or tertiary institution.
5. Have demonstrated a high level of academic commitment.
6. Have an attendance record of over 85%.
7. Have displayed a commitment an involvement in local school and/or community affairs at a high level e.g. membership in sports teams, school committees, community activities, volunteer for school community activities.
Complete an application that must contain:
1. WEI application form including:
- Application, supported by current school.
- Details of their current contribution to their school and/or community.
- A supporting statement signed by International Dean/Director, recognised community leader or religious leader which confirms their special aptitude.
2. Other supporting documents as requested by WEI.
3. An interview may be called for.
1. The scholarships shall be known as the WEI Student Award Scholarship.
2. The scholarship applies only to tuition costs and cannot be used for travel, accommodation or course related costs.
3. The scholarship will be credited directly to the educational institution nominated by the student.
4. The offer of the scholarship is subject to the candidate fulfilling entry criteria and all requirements of the programme selected for the following year, and enrolling in a full-time course or programme.
5. The closing date is
4.00pmWednesday 14 September, 2016. All applications must be submitted to the Catherine Downes. Associate Director Future Students, The University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105 Hamilton 3240 New Zealand. The application will then be forwarded to the selection panel.
6. The selection panel for the scholarship funded by WEI shall be formed by the Executive and include at least one external person.
7. The scholarship does not exclude other such awards, bursary, prize or grant, unless conditions of the other funding preclude this.
8. The selection panel may choose not to make an award should they determine no candidate has sufficient merit.
9. In exceptional circumstances, the scholarship funding may be shared.
10. The offer of the scholarship must be accepted by the date indicated in the letter of offer. Should the scholarship be declined, or not taken up, the scholarship may be offered to another person.
11. If the scholarship holder does not complete the first term (Secondary school) or first semester (Tertiary) the selection panel may require a refund, part or all, of the scholarship monies. Consideration will be given to exceptional circumstances.
12. Acceptance of the scholarship signifies agreement to participate in publicity concerning the scholarship as arranged by WEI.
13. The decision of the scholarship selection panel will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications by the end of October. The successful student will receive a formal offer of the scholarship, subject to the student meeting the entry requirements of the programme.
15. Scholarships will be used towards one course of study in the following year.
16. Any shortfall in tuition fees must be paid by the student.
17. Award of a scholarship does not guarantee entry to any 2017 study programme and the recipient of the award must complete the normal enrolment process of the institution involved.
18. These regulations may be varied, from time to time, by WEI.
19. For queries, please email Catherine Downes; email@example.com